Research & Development (2018-2020)
The Research & Development of No More Theatre is supported by Liu Xiaoyi’s Young Artist Award grant, which took place from Mar/2019 to Mar/2021. The intent of this project is to develop a new methodology, to excavate a new medium with the concept of crossing over, working together with a small team of established young artists and technology experts, recognized in their own artforms.
This research project serves as a springboard for the direction of our future artistic creations, which will manifest in a new series of future works.
This project was divided into the following phases:
- Initial study – Liu Xiaoyi
- Workshop 1 – Liu Xiaoyi + Yeo Siew Hua (filmmaker)
- Workshop 2 – Liu Xiaoyi + San Art (visual art centre in Vietnam)
- Workshop 3 – Liu Xiaoyi + Lin Ziheng (AI expert)
- Workshop 4 – Liu Xiaoyi + Nicholas Chee (VR expert)
- Workshop 5 – Liu Xiaoyi + Nicholas Chee (VR expert)
- Workshop 6 – Liu Xiaoyi + Lin Ziheng (AI expert)
- Workshop 7 – Liu Xiaoyi + Yeo Siew Hua (filmmaker)
- Workshop 8 – Liu Xiaoyi + April Li Can (AR)
- Workshop 9 – Liu Xiaoyi + April Li Can (VR)
Through the above two years of research and seven workshops, we have gained a deeper and better understanding of film, artificial intelligence, augmented technology, and virtual reality, and we also began to make preliminary attempts in the crossover integration and experiments of theatre art and these fields.
Not only that but these workshops and research also brought us into contact with experts in these fields. At the same time, we also brought our research and exploration to the attention of some potential partners and platforms in Singapore and the region. For example, Xiaoyi was invited to the 2020 FACP Kaohsiung Online Conference Weiwuying International Symposium to share our exploration of artificial intelligence and future plans.